Research In Motion (RIM) announced today that it will upgrade the features on its BlackBerry smartphones. RIM will roll out the following software upgrades during the first half of the year and will showcase them at Lotusphere this week: enhanced messaging and collaboration, simpler management, enhanced security and expanded application development support.
Some of the enhancements RIM is adding are:
– Documents To Go from DataViz so users can download and edit Microsoft Office documents.
– Users will be able to view HTML and rich text email messages with original formatting preserved including font colors and styles, embedded images, hyperlinks, tables, bullets and other formatting.
– Users on the go will be able to check the availability of colleagues before sending a meeting request.
– Users on the go will be able to check the availability of colleagues before sending a meeting request, and and use presence features to see when IM contacts are available for chats or phone calls.
– integration of IM contact “click to call”, IM session “convert to call” and advanced emoticon support that allows co-workers to collaborate and communicate.